Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Motivation and Commitment

Losing weight is no easy task. It’s going to require a great amount of dedication. So, you must have a very good reason for being here.

Have you ever experienced some amount of success only to regress into old habits? It seems every time I make progress I find myself rationalizing a small reward or succumbing to a “treat”. It’s a slippery slope. Looking back, I can see that the problem was in my resolve or motivation. I thought I wanted it, but I couldn’t prove it with any consistent actions.

Motivation Sentence
When the going gets tough you’ll to need to remember the reason you first decided to start this journey. The reason needs to be firm. A few of these are mine:
  • My closet is full but I can only wear 3 outfits
  • I want my energy level back
  • Summer vacation is coming and I want to be comfortable in my swimsuit
  • I want to play with my kids again
  • I want to be more effective in ministry
  • My health is deteriorating
  • I’m borderline diabetic
  • When I look down at my shoes I can’t see them
  • My reunion is coming up and I want to look my best
  • Long-term quality of life
Put it on down on paper. Post it inside your cupboard or near the refrigerator – wherever your worst temptations reside. Tape it to your dressing mirror so you’ll remember that you’re working on it and to keep you from discouragement.

Full Throttle Commitment
As a summer camper I was required to have a “buddy”. I wasn’t allowed to go swimming without my buddy. The “Buddy System” was designed to ensure the safety of the campers. I was glad to have a buddy because we always brought out the best in each other. Whatever one would try, the other would try too. It was just more fun with a Buddy.

I encourage you to get a Buddy or Buddies. Don’t swim alone – it’s no fun. Tell someone about your new goal. Ask him/her to check on you periodically to see if you are staying the course and to encourage you. This will also give you a way to brag on your progress.

Practical Step One
It’s about motivation and commitment. Write out the reason you want to lose weight. Refer to it often as a reminder. And tell it to a friend who’ll encourage you. Ok, so it’s two actions, but I know you want to get going!


"Be very careful, then, how you live - not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil." Eph. 5:13

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Link. I too have been walking your journey since Tuesday (with quite a bit more weight to lose than you -- 40 or 50 lbs. ought to just about do it). I wanted to thank you for your attention to sharing your personal journey. Even though it most likely won't take you very long, you point out the fact that it is much more a spiritual committment than something we can find within ourselves. I have tried many times to lose with some loss, regression and then more pounds than when I started out. I am pretty private about weight issues. I have struggled my entire life and have a lot of shame over it. I can't stand to fail again and disappoint someone in me as well as feel the utter sadness over the failure. This time feels different because I am feeling focused on the end result as opposed to just feeling like I can't make it to the next bland meal. Thank you for your obedience to the Lord in encouraging others. Please pray for me. Thanks. In Him, L.

Anonymous said...

I have already ask for a buddy. You know I was sitting here for a lunch break from outside and got the computer out to read the e-mails and BAM, there you are. If I would have just waited 5 minutes I could have eaten the cookies with much guilt, now I have to walk away. :)

Link McGinnis said...

L,
Thanks for the encouraging words - I'll keep bloggin'.
I know you can do it. I've seen many examples of people who struggled all their lives and then actually did it! Do NOT fall for the lie that we're meant to be a certain size and we'll naturally go back to that.

Chantel Hobbs says in her book, "Never Say Diet", that God never fails and never quits. If you're doing this is His power - you will succeed.

Thanks for committing to change your life. I will pray for you as you progress.

Frenchie - You're too funny!