Thursday, January 24, 2008

It’s like a Blog Inbox

I've noticed that very few people ever find a new Blog post unless I email an update notice. I understand that. Who has time to cycle through all your favorite websites to see if they've changed since your last visit?

The solution is to use an RSS "reader" and it's real easy.

I use Google Reader because I can access my "Blog Inbox" from any computer (or my cell phone).

Here's how to set up Google Reader: (2 minutes):

  1. Go to http://reader.google.com
  2. Sign in with your Gmail account. If you don't have one, create it from this page first. (An added benefit - you get a free email account.

If you already know the web address you want to subscribe to just click "Add Subscriptions" and type (or paste) the address (ie. Believernet.blogspot.com) in.

I keep Google Reader open in a Web browser tab. The tab name changes when you have a new feed – just like your inbox. When you check your reader, updates will appear with a Heading (ie. "It's like a Blog Inbox") so you can choose whether to read or bypass.

I hope this saves you time and keeps you tuned in to your updates.

If you have other RSS tips let us know by adding a comment.

No comments: