Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Getting Started

There are a few things to deal with before we get started.

First, I have to get it into my head that this is not just a diet. The reason I’ve yo-yo’ed in the past is because I’ve temporarily changed my habits until I saw some success. Then, I relaxed and went back to my original eating habits and you know the rest. So, I want to repent (change my mind) about eating. I want to view food (mainly) as fuel for my body - not merely pleasure.

If you’re joining me on this quest, you’ll know that these suggestions are just that – suggestions (here comes the disclaimer). I’m no doctor and I’ve never played one on TV. And I don’t normally stay in a Holiday Inn. So, before you get started and before you try any of this you should consult your doctor.

Setting Goals
Don’t plan to look like Zack Efron or Vanessa Hudgens. Be realistic. I don’t want to get hung up on a certain weight but I know I feel better when I’m within a certain range (I'd like to wear pants without a 2 inch expandable waist). Actually, my wife found a picture of me from about 6 years ago and I was lookin' good! I’m going to put that near my desk to ward of the snack attack.

Keeping Track
When you go to Rand McNally, MapQuest, or Google Maps to get directions you first have to provide your starting point. I use Outlook to record just about everything so I’m recording my starting weight in today’s box. I may even go home and put on my speedo (sorry for that image) or swimming trunks and take a “before” picture. You may use a wall calendar, pocket calendar, notepad, etc. But, I would encourage you to record your progress.

The Weigh-In
I like to see how I’m doing - maybe too often. Some people get discouraged when they see daily fluctuations – I’m not one of them. I know that somedays I’ll be down a little and other days I may be up. Some of that may have to do with water retention, etc. It doesn’t harm my resolve to see those fluctuations. If you’re liable to get down on yourself with those fluctuations then just weigh yourself once a week. Weekly weigh-ins will smooth out those fluctuations and show a more reliable pattern.

Rev. 2:5 says, “Remember how far you have fallen; repent, and do the works you did at first.” Remember a time when you felt good and strong. Remember when you had energy to do all that you needed and wanted to do. Take courage and Remember.

6 comments:

Awanamama said...

I definately know where you're coming from with the "let's lose weight and then relax" bit. I lose 5 or 6 and then think it's ok to endulge on the Ice Cream and it's right back on! I've got to change my "fuel" habbits. Maybe if I look at it like real fuel and how much it will cost me then maybe I'll plan my "trip" better. Hopefully all you out there that feel the need to drop the lbs will be encouraged. I know I need to be held accountable! :D

Anonymous said...

Hi Link. God has been dealing with me lately about my lack of attention to what is going into His temple. I am so glad to find your email today. This morning, before reading it, God let me know that today is my starting point to letting Him have back control. How neat He is to put His people on the same page with the timing that only He has. I have allowed food to comfort me through some very difficult times and have not been going to "The Source of Comfort" as often as I should. Please pray for me, that I will yield my food to Him too. Food is just another stronghold to us when He doesn't have control of it. Thank you for your words of encouragement and the scriptures that He is taking you to. L.

Anonymous said...

Too cool, I am in. This last 10 pounds is difficult but it could be the nightly desserts I make, :)... I think it is great to be accountable to others. So where do we go from here?? Michelle

Link McGinnis said...

Frenchie - Glad you have joined in. I'll try to start a new, related topic each day (or so) to encourage and provide some practical goals. You can expect the next post on Motivation tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

I too found a picture from about 6 years ago and have been using it as motivation. I mean my gosh - it's not like it was a high school picture (20-something years ago!). I was holding Michelle as a toddler. Additionally, I've been thinking this week, what did I do back then to loose all of that baby weight? I remember giving up chips and desserts until after I had lost the weight and then let myself have them on the weekends. To replace that crunch, which is my thing, I usually ate an apple with my lunch. Mid-morning snack was a favorite: 2 TBSP Craisins and 1 TBSP whole almonds. And oh, I walked every morning for 30 minutes. So, this week I've gotten rid of the chips and sweet things and next week I'll add walking. It was never this complicated until I got into my mid-30's and my metabolism slowed down to the pace of a snail. My friend, Brenda, who is 60-ish, says it slows down more every 10 years or so! Ugh!! I better get a hold of food before it gets a hold of me.

Why Not? said...

I need to lose 25 pounds and seeing everyone's encouraging statements helps me think maybe this is time to take control. I always wondered what it would be like to have supporters helping, caring, praying for you. WOW, looking forward to hearing your thoughts and Gods words of wisdom.

Thanks!