Monday, January 21, 2008

Just Hose Me Down!

I've already prodded you to "do no harm". If you acted on that advice and gave up "Cokes" last week, you're either choking down your spinach or washing it down with - Diet Coke! May it never be!

Water is Essential. Not just for your diet - but for life! Did you know that most Americans are dehydrated? Your body is made up of about 60% water and you lose about half a gallon of water through natural processes every day. But most of us don't drink that much per day.

The first 7 chapters of "The Seven Pillars of Health" are all about drinking water. I can't tell you all the "symptoms" Dr. Colbert claims can be reversed by drinking more water. Do you suffer from migraines, joint pain, arthritis, asthma, high blood pressure and problems with skin and digestion? We take pills to "fix" these problems but he claims often these can be solved by giving our body the water it needs. Not to mention the weight control benefits.

I'm guilty of opting for a more tasty liquid. I usually get coffee at work. Drink it. Refill. Sip until cool. Lunch time! Maayybe water - maybe Coke. Nothing 'til dinner. Tea! Where's the water?

But, I'm making the switch. I have a hard time remembering to drink water once I've begun my day. And sipping doesn't get it. So, I'm drinking a tall glass of water first thing in the morning - about 20 minutes before breakfast. The water replenishes what I've lost during the night AND it fills my stomach. By the time I'm ready for breakfast I'm not so hungry.

And, after 1 cup of coffee I switch to water. Big headstart on the day.

Dr. Colbert) "prescribes" a formula for the amount of water we should have in a day. Your current weight (in lbs) divided by 2. Drink this in ounces. Example: Current weight 150 - drink 75 ounces. Sound like a lot? Then you too should get started early in the day.

Robin put it into perspective for me: "Don't drink your calories."

Action: Drink half your weight in ounces of water. Try it for one week - report back.
You can do it!

Jesus replied, “Everyone who drinks some of this water will be thirsty again. But whoever drinks some of the water that I will give him will never be thirsty again, but the water that I will give him will become in him a fountain of water springing up to eternal life.” John 4:13-14

No comments: